Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Who blinked?

On my way home last night – the Majority Report was covering the news conferences live that dealt with the apparent compromise between Democrats and Republicans over the use of filibusters and the “nuclear option..” So after I got settled in for the night, I watched both Reid and Frist give their viewpoints on what happened with the proposed settlement. At one point they basically contradicted each other; saying almost the opposite of the other: Reid said they would still filibuster if they wanted, Frist said they wouldn’t.

(Later it was identified that only two nominees would still have the filibuster in effect.)

Now I can’t really say that the news is all that surprising – but the muck of it is – I’m not sure anything was exactly solved. I like the fact that you had Senators that were telling the White House to back off – and to act a bit more responsibly with their nominees, yet I’m reminded exactly how irresponsible this Administration is and how fruitless it would be to shake a finger at them and tell them no.

Bush isn’t going to be intimidated by this, c’mon.

After hearing Reid speak last night – I really felt that the Democrats won – but after thinking about it a great deal, I really don’t think that happened. It gave way to the “up or down” votes that the Republicans wanted. Why do the Reds want that?? Because they know they have the votes to get their chosen ones confirmed.

Yet if you hear the Blues – they are saying that they still reserve the right to filibuster if they choose.

So the question I have is: ”Who blinked??”

Or rather: ”Who caved??”

Both sides are claiming defeat and victory – yet considering that the Republicans ultimately got what they wanted is (in my eyes) prize they wanted – and eventually got.

Was it the cots that were being brought in for the extended session??

Or was it seemingly innocuous, “unannounced” visit by Justice Rehnquist to the Senate that caused the spur to find resolve in this? Renquist’s health only highlights the battle for the Supreme Court that will surely happen during Bush’s tenure.

I’m not fond of the white flag mentality – yet if there was some deeper deal struck that caused the peace, it’s my hope that it is fair for everyone. I hope it’s responsible and conscionable. I’m sick of the pandering, I’m sick of the “gotta have it my way” approach that this administration is stuck on and I’m sick of this political stick and carrot that we live by.

Over 90% of Bush’s nominees were approved.

Meaning that over 90% of the names he put up for appointments and nominees were approved by the Democrats.

Still want to shove it in our face that the Democrats are being unfair during this process? Knowing a little bit about Parliamentary procedure – the Republicans should be eternally grateful that the Democrats have backed down. The President should be a bit more receptive when there are issues with the names he’s putting out there.

He should do the responsible thing, the “let’s get along” thing, and say – “I’ll meet you half way in the road, let’s work this out.”


Problem being: this just isn’t going to happen with this Administration.


So we’ll be going back to “business as usual” and I hope we all don’t get raped because of it.

Coming up:
- Scary provisions in the new Patriot act
- Clear Skies Act isn’t what it’s cracked up to be
- Stem Cell Research will be voted on – and subsequently vetoed by George Bush

No comments:

Post a Comment