Wednesday, August 17, 2005

The Gaza Situation

I'm reading the news off of Yahoo tonight -- and I get caught up on the latest on the Gaza pullout.. On one hand yes, I realize that 8,500 Jewish settlers are being forced from their homes.. I understand how they feel, but the Supreme Court recently ruled in favor of Eminent Domain in this country whereas the government can remove property from private owners for the "greater good.."

So I'm not without compassion - I'm convinced that this is the way life is going to be from here on out.. Countries are facing reality: we're running out of Earth, it's time to build upwards.....

But I had really strong feelings when I see this image of a young Jewish girl donned in Nazi-era style clothing to demonstrate the Israeli Gaza pull out.. Now, I'm sensitive to some historical references and this one sent me really over the edge..

Now, I'm not even really saying anything about those who protest, complain and otherwise want to voice their opinion -- I'm totally in favor of that aspect.. But when certain lines are crossed, I start to lose support for your cause..

I know the girl understands the connection between her chosen outfit and the emotion that it invokes, but you can guarantee that she's not being ushered to a concentration camp, she's not going to witness her family being exterminated, she's not going to endure dysentery, malnutrition, rape, genetic manipulations, humiliation, degradation and genocide..

She lost her home.. She hasn't lost her identity, her culture, her religion, she probably even got to keep her belongings and other personal effects..

I'm sorry - the parallels are not the same..

And I'm hopeful this is isolated -- because it's short of being disrespectful of the decedents and survivors of the holocaust.. It diminishes the loss of life, the families, the history that permanently stained over the last 60-70 years..

They've had this little plot of land for the last 38 years.. Barely a generation.. Not even a lifetime.. The Jews that lost their homes, their families, and their lives in World War II -- lost a hell of a lot more than this girl..

No comments:

Post a Comment