Monday, March 20, 2006

The hidden truth of "political capital..."

I first heard President Bush laud his "political capital" after an apparent interview he did on CNN:

"And it's one of the wonderful -- it's like earning capital. You asked, do I feel free. Let me put it to you this way: I earned capital in the campaign, political capital, and now I intend to spend it. It is my style. That's what happened in the -- after the 2000 election, I earned some capital. I've earned capital in this election -- and I'm going to spend it for what I told the people I'd spend it on, which is -- you've heard the agenda: Social Security and tax reform, moving this economy forward, education, fighting and winning the war on terror."

I intend to spend it..

Wikipedia defines it as: "Political capital is the quality of public figure's favorable image among the populace. Also, his current standing among other important personalities (who are usually in government) is important. It is thought of as a commodity which must be spent wisely in pushing for an issue which may not be as popular unless advocated by someone popular."

Bush had every opportunity to unite this country and make solid decisions about its future.. Instead, he remained "tried and true" to his own course - believing that he had every republican in his hip pocket -- until the Dubai fiasco -- until the India nuclear pact -- until the squandering funds for Katrina...

I intend to spend it..

Now people are waking up.. Even politicians who once believed to be sleeping in the bed of the oval - are now waking up.. People are, for the first time, seeing exactly what this President has done to our country, to shaking the stability of the world and putting our nation further at risk..

I intend to spend it..

When you map out several, if not most of the decisions laid forth by this administration, and you see those that benefited the most: the close friends, the businesses that have close ties to this administration, everything.. He spent political capital like you would give a child $1000, walk them into a toy store and tell them to "use your money wisely...."

The advice to spend political capital wisely has been forgotten by this administration and as a result - everyone believes that not only is he a lame duck President, but he's taking the country in a precarious direction.. FINALLY people are taking notice and it's showing in his poll numbers, in his ties and relations to senators and representatives.. People are FINALLY waking up for the slumber that has kept most of us up constantly for the last 6 years..

"We're in trouble, Captain.. The iceberg is *still* directly ahead of us.."

Any political capital that this President has ever had - has run completely empty due to his inept decision making and a spin machine that has run out of cycles.. His staff is very very exhausted - and if you had to do this much spinning and contorting - I would be very tired myself...

No comments:

Post a Comment