Saturday, November 22, 2008

Playing Chess

Obama came riding into history touting real change in Washington.

While I'm still an adamant Obama supporter, I don't blindly follow everything he's going to do. Unlike a lot of the Bush apologists out there -- I'm pretty reasonably educated and capable of some independent thought processes. So that's why I'm a little taken aback that the best person for the job of Secretary of State -- is turning out to be Hillary. And while that sounds like an ultimate "diss" on Hillary -- it's not. I come from a very well skewed view of foreign relations -- as I don't believe in Reagan's "cowboy diplomacy" or Bush's "Darth Vader" approach to the world stage.

Colin Powell had it.
Madeline Albright had it.
James Baker even had it at times.

There's a certain gravitas that they bring to the international community. Not trying to grab the international spotlight. Not trying to thumb their nose at their adversaries or behave in some sort of insolent manner, but you build alliances and solidify your friendships to reach your common goals. Bush has vigorously RIPPED those alliances to the point where no one considered the United States to be much of an ally.

All that changed the moment Obama was elected and the world leaders responded in kind -- even some that wanted to deal directly with him instead of the Lame Duck still quacking in the Oval.

If Hillary is his only choice -- then I really wished that he would've had Joe Biden tapped for Sec. of State instead. The man gets foreign policy and while I have every reason to believe Joe will do great things from the V.P. -- Hillary would've made a great V.P. as well, but not as good in Sec. of State. She's a bit too flamboyant for the job -- and the international scene may not take too kindly to that.

I do hope she proves me wrong. Because while I do believe that this position is one of those "highly heralded" type positions in any administration. It's a cornerstone in how you're going to interface with the rest of the world and it would've been wonderful to see the likes of a "no non-sense" position for Colin Powell, but I guess it wasn't meant to be. I can't blame Colin though - not after what he endured under this last regime.

Several critics have come out against Obama's choices for various positions citing that there's no real change coming if he keeps appointing from the "greatest hits" from the Clinton years. If Barack is listening (and I know he visits Spoonsrant all the time) -- "Americans demanded change, not a revisit of the 1990's."

No comments:

Post a Comment