Friday, March 12, 2004

The Tangled Web

Ahhhh yes, the tangled web we all weave..

Howard Stern has been at war with his radio show program.. I'm not sure how I feel about it -- on one hand, I tend to agree that any company should have the freedom to put whatever content they see fit on the radio.. The Howard Stern situation isn't new by any means.. In fact - it happens all the time as radio stations across the country change formats, personalities and it's all in the name of profit.. In our little poe-dunk town, we get a lot of country western programming.. It fits because we're a rural community.. The college balances that out by playing a wide assortment of hip hop and current top 40 material.. Colleges can get away with that, privately owned radio stations don't have that luxury..

Okay..

That said - I'm a little sick and tired of the government deciding what's obscene and indecent for me.. It's not their position or their "right" to make such a determination.. I'm an adult.. I pay my taxes.. I abide by the laws of the land (except those which entail driving sometimes....) -- so why should I kow-tow to a more conservative way of thinking?? The backlash of the boob - is really getting blown out of proportion..

First off, there was a violation.. The response?? Put a 5-second delay in broadcasting.. I consider this to be a very reasonable remedy.. That way if a boob pops out again - everyone will be ready.. Hit delete and move on.. Every talk show has this capability.. Why Stern's monitors didn't catch it - is beyond me.. He should face the music for it.. Not just by hanging up on the caller, but there was NO MONITORING.. Okay - I agree that Stern should receive some sort of fine or disciplinary action until he can prove that his radio show can stop something like that from happening again..

So, I'm back to the decision by Clear Talk.. If they were looking for a reason to can Stern, they got it.. If he had been in their scope for awhile, then there's not much else he could've done about what happened.. But from what accounts I've read so far, it looks like Clear Talk got hit with fines thanks in part to Howard's program.. Although I'm still not sure that's the case.. However, if an employee is costing me money because of not being responsible and operating within the rules that are out there.. But I also think it's apparent that the Clear Talk brass had enough of his show..

Now.. Onto another slightly related topic

There's a lot of talk by the FCC about clamping down on some of the material that is on the radio and on TV.. Now before we start with this whole "community standards crap" (a new catch phrase I just picked up after watching CourtTV), I totally understand what this means.. The government wants stricter control and punishment for violators.......

Okay - slight problem..

The "n" word..

Howard Stern got in trouble because a caller used the "n" word.. Someone at the Howard Stern show - hung up on the caller, not giving them anymore air time or attention - went on to something else.. (this is what I hear, I don't know this for certain as we don't get the Howard Stern show out here, this is what I understand from the news reports..) I still believe Howard's crew should've been more attentive to their responsibilities for airing stuff - if in fact this was the reason why his show was canned.. But he didn't highlight, overreact to, or bring anymore attention to the person who called in..

I don't listen to a lot of rap, but in this example, I'm thinking of several rap songs that use the "n" word and other vulgarities - just like it was nothing.. If the FCC wants to stop the use of the "n" word on the Stern show - or if Clear Talk wants to prohibit their programs from using the "n" word -- then what about the rap songs done by artists and aired out there?? There's the whole First Amendment and artistic expression argument that comes blushing out.. Should rappers and artists using the "n" word be able to use it freely?? Yes, they should if they choose.. However, why does the word itself become the focus of the double standard?? If it's okay for a rapper or artist, but is not okay in other situations - exactly how do we police that??

I'm not trying to suggest the word should be protected or not.. But I've always considered the "n" word offensive, very negative, and racially charged reference to African Americans and other people of color.. It does offend me when I hear it - only because I realize the racial sensitivity of the word itself.. However, a lot of rappers use it all the time.. Has the "n" word become the next taboo word that is slowly working its way through society?? Remember the day you couldn't say FUCK?? Can you believe that the same FCC that is in charge of booby-gate and vows to clean up the tv and radio - actually justified use of the word FUCK and did not penalize the broadcasters, Bono, or anyone because he was using the word FUCK to describe the situation... "How FUCKING wonderful was that??" Wow.. FUCK suddenly got chic..

But that's only the tip of the iceberg..

How far down does the FCC want to go?? Why stop with obvious words and wanton displays.. Even el-Rush-bo recognizes that CONTENT could also be fair game some day.. If we start clamping down on what can be said, then aren't we on the verge of total censorship??

No comments:

Post a Comment