Saturday, March 06, 2004

The whole AWOL issue -- Bush's commercials about 9/11 -- Statesman

I'm not sure what concern I have over Bush's AWOL issue.. His alleged absence has been explained by paperwork that confirms he was in the guard at the time of his apparent "AWOL.." In most circles, being able to provide documentation is enough, but I don't understand why this remains an issue.. Just because no one can remember Me when I was in high school doesn't mean I didn't go.. If there's something I'm missing regarding the AWOL issue, I'd like to know..

++++++

I'm disappointed that Bush chose to use the 9/11 attacks as a springboard for his campaign.. If the situations were reversed and Al Gore was in office - I would feel the same disappointment.. I was reading an article a day or so ago that had advice for Bush to "not go to ground zero" because it's a sacred place.. The article continued to say that the backlash would be incredible if Bush did go to the place where the towers collapsed.. I don't know if I agree with that totally.. He still *is* the President of the United States - and even though 9/11 happened on his watch, he's entitled to visit ground zero like any of us really.....

I totally understand that some families think that Bush is using 9/11 as a springboard - and how that cheapens what actually happened on 9/11.. I can see their point.. I don't think anyone should be able to capitalize on a tragedy like that.. On the other hand, you want to tell the American people that the country is a safer place since 9/11.. That message, however, is something I really do take to task.. Because I do not feel that the country or the world for that matter is a safer place since 9/11.. I don't like Bush's foreign policy.. I don't like this renegade type mentality when it comes to going someplace and bombing the hell out of them.. When you stir up the hornets nest, you're going to get stung a few times.. And that's what Bush is doing.. He's getting stung repeatedly.. Even if Bin Laden is caught, I really don't think that's going to make a snowball's difference in hell.. Because you can see that the blood shed in Iraq is just as much as it was before since Saddam's capture.. If we're naive enough to think that all we need to do is get Bin Laden and things will end - think hard and serious.. Granted, even Bush said this is a war that will last several years.. I'm glad he even has the foresight to say such a thing, but I don't feel any safer than I did 9/12.. In fact, the longer we go without some sort of attack, the more brutal I see the next attack being..

++++++

A talk show this week labeled Bush as a "statesman..." I almost got into a car accident at that point, because there's a lot of Presidents I would call a statesman, but Bush is not one of them.. A statesman has foresight.. Bush's foresight goes about as far as stubbing your toe on a door and then responding by sawing the door off......

Reagan was a statesman.. Clinton was a statesman (among other things ;) ), JFK, Roosevelt, and even Ike were statesmen.. Statesmen don't use war as a prelude to peace.. Statesmen are diplomatic.. Statesmen defined as "a political leader regarded as a disinterested promoter of the public good" or someone who "is a respected leader in a given field.." Neither of which Bush qualifies for.. He has several "interests" in going to war in Iraq, none of which was for the public good.. If he were a respected leader in a given field, don't you think the other nations would be bowing down to his greatness?? (that's not happening either..)

There's a tremendous stress in Iraq right now to get their government up and running.. What I fear the most is that this new Iraqi government will not last long.. Remember what happened down in Haiti this past couple of weeks.. Rebels over threw the government.. Are we so sure that Bremmer over there is looking out for the "public good??" Or are we putting in an American-friendly government to help foster future relations?? Let's also not forget that we actually put Saddam in power way back when.. We not only encouraged it, we endorsed it, recognized it and supported it.. We kinda screwed that one up royally, don't you think??

No comments:

Post a Comment