Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Major rant...

Today I pull up to a stoplight..

I'm minding my own business until I see an outline of one of those magnetic ribbons on a truck that was very dirty.. As I studied the contours of the curvature and subsequent consistency of the dirt (I get bored sometimes when I'm driving) I wondered why the ribbon had been pulled off to begin with..

I then noticed that the car in front of me had a "Support The Troops" magnetic ribbon on their car turned sideways so that it could fit flat against the trunk lid..

Then a very bad thought came in my head: "What if the ribbon idea was a Karl Rove concoction??"

I sighed deeply and became angry at the mere notion that somehow the ideology behind a support effort may be politicized.. Now I haven't investigated it -- my google searches proved nothing ill about it.. But the mere thought of it sickened me..

Because it made perfect sense..

I can't say for certain when the ribbons came out, but just like those annoying yellow "Baby on Board" warning signs of the 80's - the fad has grown well beyond anyone's expectations.. It's also been noted that these magnetic ribbons have also been the source of some thievery.. Apparently someone wanted to show their American spirit to support the troops by stealing it off someone else's car.. What's more American than that??

I digress..

But at a time when Bush's strongest position revolved around the whole conflict - one can't be rushed to defeat such a proposition that the ribbon campaign had been a brain-child of some administration official.. Think about it: the overall presence of support for the troops would in fact help Bush's re-election bid.. The more solidarity that is portrayed, the more people want to jump on the bandwagon..

Because consider the alternative: "if you do not support the troops, you are not American.." It's a message that has been pounded into us for the last 18 months.. So, to prove that one supports the troops, they spend their $5.99 at their local WalMart and get a magnetic ribbon that can be conveniently be removed when one's support has waned or becomes unnecessary..

Pardon me, but how transparent is that??

We will slap on the "Don't follow me. I'm lost too" bumper sticker that will last longer than the car will run..... but we'll prefer the removable support ribbon why-for??

If I understand it: it's okay to have a temporary, removable support for the troops - which I guess should make sense.. Because on the one hand, we hope and pray that our troops come home soon so that the ribbons can be removed from our cars.. On the other hand - I think it's incredibly superficial..

Because when I look at the drivers who have placed these magnets on their vehicles, I really wonder if they get it.. I wonder exactly how many of those ribbons I see everyday reach out to those that really understand what it means to have a loved one being placed in harm's way.. And I'm not counting the families themselves because if there's anyone that really understands the meaning of those ribbons: ARE THE FAMILY MEMBERS?? These are the families and friends that have on-going vigils at their residences; praying for the sons and daughters we have sent overseas for purposes that seem to have eluded this Presidency..

The Bush Administration announced today that it has officially given up its search for Weapons of Mass Destruction in Iraq.. Over 1,500 people enlisted in the search for WMD.. As I sit here brooding over that news nugget, I'm reminded that "we don't know if Saddam had them and moved them to some place else like Syria.."

True..

And I would normally subscribe to that belief if it weren't for the technology, methodology, investigative capability of the most technological country in the world -- couldn't find a piece of evidence to suggest even the manufacturing of WMD.. Nothing.. Could Saddam have personally cleaned every smidge of evidence so that nothing would be found?? I suppose..

But then anyone who watches CSI knows that it's impossible to clean up a bloodstain unless you know what to do with it.. And to do so without having *any* leads?? Not one shred of evidence??

And I'm the conspiracy theorist in MY family!!

(right)

But to have Scott McClellan announce: "Based on what we know today, the president would have taken the same action because this is about protecting the American people," is nothing short of treasonous..

Exactly *what* was the threat??

1.) There were no WMD
2.) The President would repeat what he did again
3.) Bush said he has no regrets for making the decision he made
4.) A staff of over 1,500 commanded by 4 different weapons inspectors and all of the collective help of the Iraqi citizens (some 4 million+) couldn't find them.....
5.) Over 1,355 Americans have lost their lives with another 10,000+ that have been injured.
6.) Not including the 15,289 Iraqi Citizens who have died during our liberation of their country.. That's 6 times those that died in 9/11..

We had the opportunity to support our troops this past November - but that didn't happen.. We had an opportunity to bring home our troops, but Bush is itching to get into Iran next..

So.. Let's consult the score card:
1.) No WMD (buzzer)
2.) Saddam has been caught (ding ding)
3.) 1,355 Americans have died (buzzer)
4.) 15,289 Iraqi civilians have died (buzzer)
5.) The Governor of Baghdad has been assassinated (buzzer)
6.) The 50+ Iraqi policemen who have been executed (buzzer)
7.) Holding an election that Bush ALREADY admits "The election is not going to be perfect." (buzzer)
8.) The sanctions have been lifted (buzzer) *note: just because you cheat doesn't mean you get a cookie!!
9.) We have an overwhelming support of the international community (buzzer)
10.) We are no where near getting Bin Laden or any other terrorist cell that was/is operating out there today.. (buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz)

Let's see, 1 ding and 9 buzzes.. Not good Mr. President..

The fact that almost his entire cabinet resigned speaks volumes.. And now that these reports continue to trickle after the election reinforces the timing of the release so as not to affect the November elections.. How nice of us to make an "informed decision" based on withheld releases of information..

-Still don't think the system is flawed??
-You don't think the press has its talons in the midst of it all??
-Still want to believe that the right guy for the job is living on Pennsylvania Ave this evening??

*sighs*

I thought about something else yesterday as I was listening to Air America Radio: the louder we yell, the less people listen.. If in fact the democrats are serious enough to take back the country we lost then this is the message: get smart people in smart positions and get them there soon.. If the democrats don't find their own version of Karl Rove - then the party is in deep trouble in 2006 and 2008..

Get smart..

No comments:

Post a Comment