Thursday, October 21, 2004

The *DRAMA*

I realized something earlier this week - and as time goes on, I'm all but certain it's true (if it hasn't been overstated or assumed enough):

"The media is hyping all of the polling numbers to create *drama* in this year's election.."

How do I know?? Listen to the headlines in the last week or so: "Bush pulls ahead of Kerry after final debate," "Bush leads by 4 points," "Kerry gains ground on Bush," "Polls show race neck and neck," "Bush leads by 1 point....."

Why??

Is it a matter of keeping America teetered on the edge of our seats wondering what's going to happen next?? (see "Tune in next time, when we find the fate of our hero...")

Or is it a matter of keeping things close enough to ensure that when November comes, people are going to go "hm, my vote may actually count this year...."

Do we really think that Bush and Kerry are saying so much *new* stuff that they are affecting the polls?? Not when I get My headline updates on Yahoo!: "Bush and Kerry trade barbs on Foreign Policy," "Kerry and Bush fight on Leadership," "Bush and Kerry Hammering Out the Swing States..."

I will say this: it's proving to be one interesting election.. If anything, the sour taste in my mouth for both parties are as pungent as they have ever been..

No comments:

Post a Comment